Sunday, December 15, 2013

...Books...Stuffed Animals...and, Snow Globes...


I get sentimentally attached to everything I'm given which results in being unable to part with anything. I still hold dear all mementos from my grandmother, especially those now-tattered Little Golden Books, and too-worn paperback copies of "Joy in The Morning" by Betty Smith, and "The Godfather," by Mario Puzo.
I still have my very first ever reading book from first grade (I think I'll keep to myself how many years ago we're talking, but here's a hint -- back then, no one could have imagined "blogging").

I love figurines, so I've been the recipient, especially at Christmas, of porcelain trees, cute animals, cartoon characters, and decorated houses.


 
I also love Holiday snow globes (I've had a few of them for 30 years+). And, I always get excited on the day after Thanksgiving when I take each one from its box and give it a good shake before displaying. My snow globes are one of the many "pleasures" I love about the Holiday season.



 
Is there anything that you, Readers, can't part with?


                                                                                            (photo c/o office.microsoft.com)

6 comments:

  1. Like you, I'm attached to things from my paternal grandmother. She was such a lovely woman, I loved her so dearly, the objects I have are a continued connection to her.
    I'm not a saver or hoarder, but I do collect hand blown Murano dolphins. I keep them on window sills, love to watch the play of sun and shadow in these fabulous creations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we keep tokens from those who are no longer here as a way of keeping them with us. Thanks so much, Rayne, for visiting today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I collect porcelain children's tea sets, the older the better. The teapot, creamer and sugar bowls are the most important and any additional dishes are a plus. Over the years, thanks to gifts from my children, I’ve expanded the collection to over 30 sets. Every few years I get to display them, and I get wonderful feedback from women of all ages who remember playing with their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was at Macy's earlier in the week, I enjoyed walking through the linen department and looking at all of the beautifully set table displays. Although the purpose was to sell table linens, the dishes added that "special" touch. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Marion!

      Delete
  4. Hmm . . . what don't I collect? Ha! Well, as Rayne stated above, I'm not a hoarder, but from my father's mother I inherited her Blue Willow China, and I have an aunt that knows I'm nuts about the china, so she finds me more. My sister finds me rare antique vases, because I love fresh flowers in my house no matter what season. And I've been in love with books, like you, since my earliest memory, so I have book shelves galore in my house.

    Great post! What fun to think about and to read other people's collections!
    -Lani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother had Blue Willow China! Thank so much for visiting, Lani, and sharing your thoughts!

      Delete