Sunday, June 1, 2014

A Touch of Emotion...

I saw this movie again the other night...which reminded me of a post from July, 2013. If you have a favorite movie that has you reaching for a tissue or two, please feel free to share.

Happy reading, and have a great week!




The other night I watched the movie “Back Street,” the 1961 version with Susan Hayward and John Gavin. The premise of the movie is a wealthy – and married – man (John Gavin) has an affair with a single, career-minded woman ( Susan Hayward). The couple is truly in love, but the husband has two small children and an alcoholic, self-centered wife (Vera Miles) who tried to commit suicide when he mentioned divorce. The Hayward character is content to be “the other woman.”

In the end, the husband and wife are killed when the car the wife is driving crashes.

The scene that breaks my heart and has me running for the tissues is the very last one. When the two devastated children come to visit a grieving Susan Hayward and tearfully ask if they could visit her from time to time, she gathers them in her arms.

The movie is actually based on a novel written by Fannie Hurst (since I haven't read the novel, I’m not sure how closely the 1961 version follows the book or earlier movie versions). As I cried my eyes out while Susan Hayward gazed at the grief-stricken children, I imagine an author at her computer typing out this scene and contemplated the power of the written word to touch our emotions.

What about you, readers? Has anyone seen an earlier version of "Back Street?" Are there any movies or books out there that have you crying long after the words, “The End”?





                                                                                               photo c/o sssh227 and MorgueFile.com

6 comments:

  1. Brian's Song. Al Ii have to do is think about Gayle Sayers speech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You are soooo right!!! Thanks for sharing...

      Delete
  2. There are a few that make me cry every time. Titanic, Brain's Song and don't laugh, but Sweet Home Alabama. The line, "so I can kiss you, anytime I want" makes me cry every time. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand your sentiment on "Sweet Home Alabama." I always cry at the end of "The Way We Were" when Barbra Streisand sweeps the lock of hair from Robert Redford's brow. As with the line "so I can kiss you anytime I want..." often, it's the simple moments that grab us. Thanks for sharing...

      Delete
  3. I don't like being brought to tears by movies. Hypocritically, I have no problem bringing people to tears in my own books! I know that's truly terrible. I suppose I just feel like I have more control over it in my own writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once had a colleague who shared those thoughts with you...Her philosophy, she insisted, was if she wanted to cry, she would read the newspaper...Thanks for visiting...

      Delete