Sunday, June 22, 2014

Oldies but Goodies in Children's Books...



Last week I went into my local bookstore to purchase books for a neighborhood child who was graduating Kindergarten and moving on to First Grade. While there were several recent releases by more contemporary authors that caught my eye, I kept wandering back to the display of authors that I had read as a child (more years ago than I want to recall). I ended up purchasing several Dr. Seuss books including The Places You'll Go.  The book's theme is crossing life's bridge and moving on to the next challenge.

After I'd spent almost an hour looking through books, my sister said to me, "Oh, I knew you were going to end up with Dr. Seuss." I just couldn't help myself as the messages in all of his book are timeless.

Thumbing through The Places You'll Go, and remembering how I continued to be drawn back to the Dr. Seuss display, made me think about characters and books written long ago, yet the sentiments, interest, themes, and teaching values will always remain.


Here are some of my favorites...Please feel free to share yours.



The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

Yes, the caterpillar’s diet is inaccurate, but its food choices are appealing to children while teaching them numbers, the days of the week, and how a little nothing can evolve into a beautiful something.




The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats

A sweet, simple, and detailed day in the life of a child traveling through his neighborhood after a snowfall. 



Make Way for The Ducklings by Robert McCloskey

A mother prepares for and tends to her babies…




The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf, illustrated by Robert Lawson

Be the person (or bull) you want to be, and not what others tell you to be.



Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Miline, illustrated by Ernest H. Shepard

Friends are what makes the world (or in this case, woods) go round.  




Have a great week, Everyone!



                                        photo,The Very Hungry Caterpillar c/o facebook.com/pages/Eric-Carle/78750984937
                                       photo, The Snowy Day c/o facebook.com/EzraJackKeats
                                      photo, Ducklings c/o Ladyheart and MorgueFile.com
                                      photo, Bull c/o Ali110 and MorgueFile.com
                                     photo, Winnie the Pooh c/o facebook.com/WinniethePooh

4 comments:

  1. I grew up with Winnie the Pooh and Ferdinand too!

    For me, now that my son is eleven, I remember his books when he was little so well and fondly. The Hungry Caterpillar was our favorite for months, and many of Dr. Seuss's too. As well as The Little Prince, which I tried to read for my son in French when he was a toddler. I don't think I could do that now. I've forgotten so much French. I wanted my son to be trilingual, and he's working on it, the cutie. But he makes the same mistakes I do when counting in Spanish then accidentally switching to French after 5.

    Oh this was fun going down memory lane! Thanks, Angela!
    -Lani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several times -- since my teen years -- I've tried to read "The Little Prince," but cry after the first few pages and have to put it down. I've yet to read the entire book. Thanks for visiting, Lani, and sharing!

      Delete
  2. I loved Winner the Pooh as a child and loved sharing those and Dr. Seuss with my children

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even as an adult, there are times I want to visit the "Hundred Acres Woods! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!

      Delete